Nancy & David Wolf Holocaust & Humanity Center - Full Time
The Chief Operating Officer is a key leadership position reporting directly to the CEO. This is a new position for the Nancy & David Wolf Holocaust & Humanity Center, and a real opportunity for the right candidate to play a meaningful, creative, role at a time of growth and transformation. Working with the Chief Executive Officer, and as a lead member of the Senior Management Team, the COO will help develop and deliver the HHC’s strategic vision. To do this, the COO will have overall responsibility for finance, museum operations, security, IT, facilities and day-to-day operations.
A key aspect of the job will be to refocus the internal structures of HHC to ensure the smooth delivery of projects and to provide the ideal environment for a happy, high functioning, team to thrive. We’re looking for an energetic, experienced and personable candidate, who can operate with ease at all levels of the HHC’s business, from the ‘shop floor’ to the Board room, and who has the drive to succeed. This position comes at an exciting time of growth for HHC and its work, having recently received a transformational gift garnering momentum for further giving and growth.
Operational and Day-to-Day Management
- To support the Chief Executive by translating the vision, goals and strategy for the museum into detailed operational plans, ensuring that the senior staff members can work efficiently and effectively together to deliver the agreed strategies and plans to produce a consistently high standard of work.
- To oversee the day to day operational, or business as usual, elements of the museum including staffing, finance, HR, IT, contractor management
- To manage the outsourced finance function ensuring that internal systems and processes are in place and enable effective day-to-day and strategic management of the HHC’s finances
- To be responsible with the Chief Executive, for setting the Senior Management Team meeting agendas, recording action plans and tracking progress.
- To support the Chief Executive and the Chair to ensure smooth governance of the Board of Trustees and maintain the HHC’s good standing.
- To ensure that the HHC employs, motivates and evaluates its people effectively, ensuring that the right people and skills are in the right place at the right time to successfully deliver a demanding portfolio of projects.
- To consider, report on and monitor the risks faced by the organization.
- To ensure that the CEO has adequate time and information to be able to take all final creative and financial decisions.
Major Development Projects
- To work closely with the Chief Executive and appropriate Project Managers to deliver major development projects, as and when requested by the Chief Executive, so that they are clearly defined, agreed by the Board of Trustees, effectively planned, reported on and executed in a timely manner, within agreed budgets.
- To oversee HHC’s finances, including Office Manager’s functions and outsourced financial operations. To liaise closely with the Treasurer.
- To have overall responsibility to the CEO and Trustees for the financial management of HHC.
- To review and develop HHC’s business model, including earned revenue goals, plans and targets.
- Manage all Human Resource policies and operations aligned with best practices which shall maximize work culture, productivity and retention.
- Skills and experience necessary to recruit, hire, on-board, train, develop and terminate staff including managing outsourced support where utilized.
- Oversee museum operations manager who is in turn responsible for floor staff and security.
- Work with team to manage strategic planning for museum updates, changes, maintenance.
IT and Technology
- To be responsible for managing and upgrading the HHC’s IT systems, including administrative systems, programming systems and museum systems.
Qualifications & Requirements
- 5+ years of experience in management or supervisory role
- Budget management experience having previously managed budgets of $2 million or more.
- A proven track record in organizational/operations management at a senior level including responsibility for overseeing HR/IT/Finance.
- A proven track record in the management of complex multi-disciplinary projects, ideally involving an element of IT implementation.
- A proven track record of senior management with specific profit and loss responsibility.
- A proven track record of managing and developing staff.
- Proven ability to think and act strategically and to develop and implement practical and effective procedures.
- Highly organized and flexible in approach.
- Approachable, inspirational and supportive, with the ability to communicate effectively with people and lead teams across all areas of the organization.
- Appreciation and excitement about the HHC mission.
- Business acumen and entrepreneurial flair.
- Proficiency in written and verbal communication skills
WE OFFER A COMPETITIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE!
*Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply*
"The successful candidate must show proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19 (either complete single dose or complete two step dose) by date of hire.”