WAVE Foundation - Internship
DescriptionPosition Summary: WAVE Foundation Conservation Education Intern serves as an instructor for WAVE Foundation education programs. This intern is instrumental in executing the curriculum for WAVE Education programs. Under the supervision of the Conservation Education Manager, the Intern will serve as an ambassador for WAVE in the community through special campaigns, awareness days, and other duties as assigned. WAVE Foundation Conservation Education Intern is a volunteer position with WAVE Foundation.
Application Deadline is May 1, 2020.
There is no monetary compensation for this position.
- Lead or assist in the delivery of WAVE Education programs and initiatives. This includes teaching Prek-12 education classes, camp WAVE, and episodic education throughout Newport Aquarium.
- Lead or assist with daily program activities including set up, instruction, clean up and supply inventory as needed.
- Follow and adhere to WAVE Foundation and Newport Aquarium policies and procedures for proper care, handling and presentation of program animals upon completion of animal handling training, provided by Education Department staff.
- Maintain knowledge of the animals you will be working with, and the methods, materials, procedures and techniques utilized in assimilating scientific information and effectively communicating/interpreting to a broad range of audiences.
- Must be willing to travel around the tristate with Educational programs, and assist/lead WAVE Education staff in serving as WAVE Foundation & Aquarium ambassador in schools for events such as career days and outreach programming and in the community for outreach events.
- Maintain an awareness of industry guidelines pertaining to education programs as set forth by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
- Operate a variety of audio and visual equipment upon completion of training, provided by Conservation Education Department staff.
- Communicate and maintain working relationships with educators, students, guests, staff, supervisors, volunteers, other departments, and colleagues in related industries.
- Communicate well in an environment, which may include loud noises, large crowds and varying settings. Provide excellent and accurate customer service for WAVE Foundation and Newport Aquarium’s missions.
- Direct questions, suggestions or grievances through appropriate procedures and channels.
- Represent WAVE Foundation and Newport Aquarium in a professional manner, including dress code, behavior and timeliness.
- Must be 18 years or older. Due to the nature of the position, volunteer must be willing to submit a background check if selected.
- Be engaging, friendly, courteous, enthusiastic and sincere.
- Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time (up to 6 hours), climb stairs, bend, stoop, and be able to lift 40 lbs. You must also be able to push a 400 lb. cart on wheels. Must provide proof of tetanus shot.
- Complete Aquarium orientation and online training.
- Minimum of 20-25 hours per week Mon. – Fri. 8:30am – 5:30pm some weekends and evenings. Recommended to set two – three days aside during the week.
- Minimum of 150 hours within 15 weeks.