WAVE Foundation - Internship
DescriptionPosition Summary: Internship focused on learning best practices of hosting events at Newport Aquarium. This intern will assist and service special events that require strong communication and interpersonal skills. WAVE Foundation Corporate/Social Sales Event Intern is a volunteer position with WAVE Foundation and Newport Aquarium Sales Department.
There is no monetary compensation for this position.
Application Deadline is May 1, 2020.
- Learn how to successfully coordinate and facilitate a large event in a prime venue space.
- Assist Event Services Managers with details of each corporate and social event booked at the Aquarium. Includes Assisting with check in areas, room set up, audiovisual needs, foodservice staff. As well as coordinating with bridal party, families and guests.
- Arrive 2 hours before event scheduled to assist with set up of room, coordination of staff, placement of decorations and supplies. This includes in house special events.
- Assist with cleaning up and setting up for next event if necessary.
- Communicate and maintain working relationships with educators, students, guests, staff, supervisors, volunteers, other departments, and colleagues in related industries.
- Communicate well in an environment, which may include loud noises, large crowds and varying settings.
- Provide excellent and accurate customer service for WAVE Foundation and the Aquarium’s missions.
- Direct questions, suggestions or grievances through appropriate procedures and channels.
- Represent WAVE Foundation and Newport Aquarium in a professional manner, including dress code, behavior and timeliness.
- Notify the appropriate person if unable to volunteer, due to either illness, vacation, resignation or leave of absence.
- Perform in accordance with all protocols, policies and operating procedures of WAVE Foundation and Newport Aquarium.
- 18 years or older. College student majoring in Sales, Marketing, Business, Hospitality or Communications. Junior or Senior preferred and should have taken at least one course in sales, marketing or business.
- Self-motivated and takes instruction well.
- Customer service experience preferred.
- Attentive to detail and creatively oriented.
- Be engaging, friendly, courteous, enthusiastic and sincere.
- No history of allergy related to animals or plants, which might interfere with ability to volunteer
- Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time (up to 4 hours), climb stairs, bend, stoop, and be able to lift 25lbs. Immunocompetence (possible exposure to infections and parasitic disease)
- Complete Aquarium orientation and online training.
- Application fee: $25 will be waived once accepted for the position.
- Must submit a reflection paper and give a presentation at the end of the internship.
- Minimum of 20-25 hours per week - negotiable Mon. – Fri. 8:30am – 5:30pm some weekends and evenings.
- Minimum of 150 hours within 15 weeks. Schedule will be discussed with your Mentor upon onboarding.