Cincinnati Museum Center - Internship
The Cincinnati History Library and Archives at Cincinnati Museum Center houses one of the most significant regional history collections in the United States, containing a variety of materials from printed works to manuscripts to audiovisual items. Working with the librarians at the reference desk, the Library Intern helps users gain access to information and materials found in the Library’s collections.
- Assists the librarians in their duties
- Performs opening and closing procedures.
- Registers patrons and acquaints them with library rules and policies.
- Answers reference questions in person, on-line and over the phone, matching appropriate resources to researcher needs.
- Refers patrons to appropriate librarian or curator if special assistance is needed.
- Instructs patrons in the use of computer databases, including the online catalog.
- Retrieves library materials in a variety of formats.
- Ensures the preservation and security of library materials by recording items on patron registration forms and reviewing these items when returned.
- Aids patrons in the operation of microfilm readers and audio-visual equipment.
- Processes photocopy orders.
- Enters information from registration forms into the database.
- Replenishes library forms, pencils, printer paper, and other items as needed.
- Sorts, shelves, and files library materials accurately
- Assists with reference correspondence involving photocopy requests, directory searches, and newspaper research. Depending on knowledge and ability, may be given the opportunity to work on more difficult reference questions.
- Works on special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of two years of college
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Experience with PC computers (preferably database experience)
- Ability to initiate and perform tasks with limited supervision
- Must pass a background check
- Must have reliable transportation