WAVE Foundation - Internship
DescriptionPosition Summary: Assist and support Community Engagement Office in a unique environment with HR assorted recruitment projects including assessing possible candidates and actively recruit for open positions, recruitment dashboard maintenance, facilitate and participate in interviews and orientations. This position also includes general clerical support; assist in office coverage in the absence of the Community Engagement Manager. WAVE Foundation HR Internship in Community Engagement Office is a volunteer position with WAVE Foundation.
There is no monetary compensation for this position.
Application Deadline is November 15, 2019.
- Assist and lead recruitment activities. Including assessing possible candidates and actively recruit for open positions utilizing different databases and match their skills to the requirements of the position summary. Maintain multiple dashboard recruitment websites.
- Assist and lead in the onboarding process such as orientations for new volunteers. Includes putting together welcome packets, familiarizing them with safety procedures and introducing them to the company’s culture.
- Assist with volunteer events, recognition, and benefits.
- Use professionalism when updating the volunteer database. Includes processing and organizing confidential volunteer documents.
- General clerical support including scanning, copies, produce mailings, and answering phones/making calls.
- Communicate and maintain working relationships with educators, students, guests, staff, supervisors, volunteers, other departments, and colleagues in related industries.
- Communicate well in an environment, which may include loud noises, large crowds and varying settings.
- Provide excellent and accurate customer service for WAVE Foundation and Aquarium’s missions.
- Direct questions, suggestions or grievances through appropriate procedures and channels.
- Represent WAVE Foundation and Newport Aquarium in a professional manner, including dress code, behavior and timeliness.
- Notify the appropriate person if unable to volunteer, due to either illness, vacation, resignation or leave of absence.
- Perform in accordance with all protocols, policies and operating procedures of WAVE Foundation and Newport Aquarium.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years or older. Majoring in human resources related field. Junior or Senior preferred.
- Strong organizational skills for a fast-pace environment, attention to detail, solid verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Prezi and general knowledge of the internet
- Be engaging, friendly, courteous, enthusiastic and sincere.
- Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time (up to 4 hours), climb stairs, bend, stoop, and be able to lift 25lbs.
- NOTE: May involve exposure to potentially dangerous and unpredictable animal species, restraint devices, toxic chemicals, and/or drugs. Occasional use of protective clothing or equipment is required e.g. goggles, mask, gloves, and gowns.
- Complete Aquarium orientation and on-line training.
- Application fee: $25 once accepted for position.
- Must submit a reflection paper and give a presentation at the end of the internship.
- Minimum of 20-25 hours per week - negotiable Mon. – Fri. 8:30am – 5:30pm some weekends and evenings.
- Minimum of 250 hours within 15 weeks. Schedule will be discussed with your Mentor upon onboarding.