WAVE Foundation - Internship
DescriptionPosition Summary: Assist the Marketing Department in a unique environment with projects that may include research, advertising, promotions and events. This position requires solid communication and writing skills. The WAVE Foundation Marketing Intern is a volunteer position with the WAVE Foundation.
There is no monetary compensation for this position.
Application Deadline is May 1, 2020.
- Monitor competitor activity by producing a weekly competitor report.
- Update competitor ticket and membership pricing database.
- Respond to and engage community stakeholders requesting marketing collateral for Newport Aquarium or Ride the Ducks.
- Research and update local school calendar database for use in promotional planning.
- Assist with photo and commercial shoots and promotional events including VIP, PassHolder and Media Events.
- Compile and analyze Guest Satisfaction Survey data.
- Assist and support Marketing Manager.
- General clerical support including scanning, copies, produce mailings, and answering phones/making calls.
- Communicate and maintain working relationships with educators, students, guests, staff, supervisors, volunteers, other departments, and colleagues in related industries.
- Communicate well in an environment, which may include loud noises, large crowds and varying settings.
- Provide excellent and accurate customer service for WAVE Foundation and the Aquarium’s missions.
- Direct questions, suggestions or grievances through appropriate procedures and channels.
- Notify the appropriate person if unable to volunteer, due to either illness, vacation, resignation or leave of absence.
- Represent WAVE Foundation and the Newport Aquarium in a professional manner, including dress code, behavior and timeliness.
- Perform in accordance with all protocols, policies and operating procedures of the WAVE Foundation and the Newport Aquarium.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College student majoring in Marketing or Communications. Junior or Senior preferred.
- Strong organizational skills for a fast-paced environment.
- Attentive to detail and possess well developed verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube, and Instagram.
- Be engaging, friendly, courteous, enthusiastic and sincere.
- No history of allergy related to animals or plants, which might interfere with ability to volunteer
- Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time (up to 4 hours), climb stairs, bend, stoop, and be able to lift 25lbs.
- Immunocompetence (possible exposure to infections and parasitic disease)
- Complete Aquarium orientation and online training.
- Application fee: $25 will be waived if accepted for the position.
- Must submit a reflection paper and give a presentation at the end of the internship.
- Minimum of 20-25 hours per week - negotiable Mon. – Fri. 8:30am – 5:30pm some weekends and evenings.
- Minimum of 150 hours within 15 weeks.
- Schedule will be discussed with your Mentor upon onboarding.