WAVE Foundation - Internship
DescriptionPosition Summary: Assist and support the Public Relations Manager with projects including public relations, promotions and special events in the Newport Aquarium Marketing Department. This position requires solid communication and writing skills. Candidates that have passed a college copy editing course will receive further consideration over those who have not. The WAVE Foundation PR Intern is a volunteer position with the WAVE Foundation.
There is no monetary compensation for this position.
Application Deadline is May 1, 2020.
- Assist and support the Public Relations and Marketing Department in the development of promotional materials, including campaign strategies, press releases, organizing and guiding media tours as well as media involvement.
- Upkeep and monitor social media including Facebook and Twitter.
- Update media contact lists, file media clippings, write and edit press releases.
- May be required to attend evening or weekend promotional events or photo/commercial shoots as needed.
- General clerical support including scanning, copies, produce mailings, and answering phones/making calls.
- Communicate and maintain working relationships with educators, students, guests, staff, supervisors, volunteers, other departments, and colleagues in related industries.
- Communicate well in an environment which may include loud noises, large crowds and varying settings.
- Provide excellent and accurate customer service for WAVE Foundation and Aquarium’s missions.
- Direct questions, suggestions or grievances through appropriate procedures and channels.
- Represent WAVE Foundation and the Newport Aquarium in a professional manner, including dress code, behavior and timeliness.
- Notify the appropriate person if unable to volunteer, either due to illness, vacation, resignation or leave of absence.
- Perform in accordance with all protocols, policies and operating procedures of the WAVE Foundation and Newport Aquarium.
- College student majoring in Journalism, Public Relations or Communications. Junior or Senior preferred.
- Must submit 3 writing samples with application: at least one news story and one press release
- Must be well-versed in Associated Press (AP) style writing and copy editing.
- Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) member preferred.
- Blogging experience preferred – If you have a blog or website, please submit the link.
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Strong organizational skills for a fast-paced environment.
- Attentive to detail and possess well developed verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube, and Instagram.
- Be engaging, friendly, courteous, enthusiastic and sincere.
- No history of allergy related to animals or plants, which might interfere with ability to volunteer.
- Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time (up to 4 hours), climb stairs, bend, stoop, and be able to lift 25lbs.
- Immunocompetence (possible exposure to infections and parasitic disease).
- Complete Aquarium orientation and online training.
- Application fee: $25 will be waived once accepted for the position.
- Must submit a reflection paper and give a presentation at the end of the internship.
- Minimum of 20-25 hours per week – two full days a week (Mon. – Fri.) office hours are 9am – 4pm some early mornings.
- Minimum of 150 hours within 15 weeks.
- Schedule will be discussed with your Mentor upon onboarding.