Camp Livingston - Full Time
Camp Livingston is a residential summer camp in Bennington, IN that serves 300 campers, ages 7-18, and employs over 60 staff, 18 and older. Camp Livingston has provided life changing summers and the opportunity for growth for children and young adults since 1920.
We are seeking caring, hardworking, team focused individuals to join our team as Specialist Counselors. Specialists supervise a specific cabin group and ensure they have a positive camp experience as well as spend the majority of their camp day at an activity area, leading programming for different groups. Specialist positions include: lifeguards, waterski instructors, ropes course staff, art staff, drama specialist, sports specialist, nature specialist, and dance specialist.
A Specialist is ultimately responsible for each of the campers assigned to them and their mental and physical wellbeing as well as the daily execution of programming at their area. Ideally, this person would have experience in and a passion for working with children as well as experience in their activity area. They must be mature, responsible and act as a role model for their campers at all times.
Dates of employment are June 4 or 5-August 6 (depending on specialty) with 6 days off throughout their time at camp. The Specialist will report to their assigned age group supervisor (Unit Head) as well as area supervisor (Area Head) or the Director of Operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise all campers in assigned cabin.
- Spend the majority of the camp day at assigned specialty area.
- Remain alert, present and engaged when campers are present.
- Ensure the highest level of safety at all times.
- Assist the Unit Head in creating unit programs.
- Plan and implement elective programs.
- Participate and be on time to in all camp programs.
- Know and enforce all camp rules.
- Assist camp community in supervision of all Camp Livingston campers.
- Maintain supervision during all camp meals.
- Sleep in cabin with campers nightly.
- Supervise bedtime every other night or every third night (dependent on co-counselor assignments) in cabin following appropriate rules and guidelines.
- Work in cooperation at all times with Co-Counselor.
- Maintain a professional working relationship with all members of the Camp Livingston staff.
- Report any extreme camper behavior to assigned Unit Head.
- Complete nightly camper forms in coordination with Co-Counselor.
- Take campers to the Health Center when necessary.
- Be present and awake in cabin during rest hour and any other times when campers are in cabin.
- Assist in opening camp during staff training, maintaining camp and cabin cleanliness throughout the session, and assist with the closing of the camp once campers have departed.
- Help manage any camper satisfaction issues.
- Help manage any challenges in cabin or group dynamics.
- Observe camper’s grooming and personal care, including eating habits – bring concerns to supervisor.
- Determine if campers are sending mail home and also if they are receiving mail.
- Assist the Area Director in the implementation of group activities, both cabin activities and elective programming.
- Help maintain cleanliness and organization of supplies at the activity area.
- Enforce counselor participation with their campers at activity area.
- Help with activity area special projects or visiting groups as needed and assigned.
- Any other jobs or responsibilities that may be assigned by Senior Staff.
- Must adhere to all other code of conduct as outlined in the staff handbook.
- At least 18 years of age or a high school graduate.
- Previous experience attending summer camp preferred.
- Previous experience working with children preferred.
- Certification in specialty area if necessary.
- Previous experience teaching activities relevant to their area preferred.
- Understanding of customer service.
- Must be able to work in a flexible and team driven work environment.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with campers, staff, and supervisors.
- Ability to listen well, resolve conflicts, and perform as a role model in a fast-paced and demanding work environment.
- Salary dependent upon level of education and experience.
- Room and board included in summer position.